Monday, March 14, 2011

Emily’s Half Sleeve Lion Tattoo

The main subject is the lion face. I drew it not photo-realistic but a little more human. A ferocious animal, we talked about creating a feeling of calmness and put any aggression on the back burner. I based the idea on "Ashlan" from "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe".

Emily’s Half Sleeve Lion TattooThe tattoo also contains a Buddhist mantra, a mountain range, a scarab beetle, a swastika on the elbow, a waterfall and, on the shoulder blade, stylish stars and an arrangement of Japanese bats with a galactic background; all requirements of Emily’s concept of her perfect tattoo. The layout and illustrations were all mine but the concept was all Emily’s.

Emily’s Half Sleeve Lion TattooThis tattoo was relatively slow in producing because of the amount of thinking that was involved. Probably 10-15 hours work but the tattoo evolved over four to five years. Working with Emily was always a pleasure.

Emily’s Half Sleeve Lion TattooI have been asked many times to reproduce this tattoo again. I get asked “"How much is that tattoo?"” Emily’s concept is not for sale!

I have received e-mails along the lines of “"I live a long way away and can’t possibly come to you. I like this or that tattoo but could you either send me the artwork or tell me which book you got it from?"” Nearly every tattoo I create is the collaboration of my client’s concept and my drive to produce unique tattoos.

No comments:

Post a Comment